wongie's world has moved to http://wongiesworld.tumblr.com/

wongie's world has now moved to http://wongiesworld.tumblr.com/

Friday, July 08, 2005

Luther Vandross: 1951 - 2005


truly one of the best voices ever, fans will definitely miss you.

when i was growing up in hong kong, access to the world of r&b was regulated to finds from trips to the US or american/uk top 40 (my peers didn't help cause they only listened to classic rock or other forms of musical travesties). but somehow along the way, acts like anita baker and luther vandross found their way into my walkman, offering me a world of soulful drama that enhanced my teenage years (now my friends understand where some of my drama comes from).

the now classic albums 'rapture' by anita baker and 'give me the reason' by luther, not only offered master classes in vocal performances (to which i still shine at karaoke), but gave me a glimpse of passion and emotion that i had yet to experience.

listening to luther's music these past few days have not only brought me back to my naive mid 80's, but also shows me that no one has captured that pureness that this man could convey through his immaculate voice.

he shall be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home